Heating and cooling account for about 50 percent of your home’s energy costs. If you’re…
Did you know that recent research by the Environment Protection Agency has found indoor air to be up to five times as polluted as what you breathe outside? Over time, dust, allergens and pollutant particles build up in your home, diminishing its air quality and posing a number of health hazards. Here at Petrocelli Services, we recommend the following simple shortcuts to improved indoor air quality.
- Change your air filters: Replacing your dirty air filters every three months is one of the simplest HVAC maintenance measures you can take, and one of the most effective ways of keeping your home free from dust and allergens.
- Upgrade your air filters: If your air filters keep running their course every two months, consider upgrading them. Air filters have a Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value (MERV), which varies between 1 and 16, 16 being the most efficient. Typically a MERV rating between 5 and 8 is good enough, unless you’re prone to severe allergies.
- Invest in an air cleaner: Get a portable model for your bedroom, and leave it running at night. Alternatively, our experts here at Petrocelli Services can also recommend a suitable air cleaning system for your entire house. This will replace your HVAC air filters.
- Dust frequently: Yes, it’s annoying work, but regular cleaning goes a long way in keeping your indoor air quality at acceptable levels.
- Minimize chemicals: If you suffer from recurrent respiratory troubles, consider minimizing your use of chemical-based household and personal care items. These emit vapors that accumulate in your home over time.
- Air your house out: It is important to let fresh air into your home from time to time. Open up your windows to get rid of stale air. Or use your bathroom and kitchen exhausts for ‘spot’ ventilation.
Still worried about your indoor air quality? Here at Petrocelli Services we can help you breathe easy! Call us to schedule air quality checks, HVAC cleaning and maintenance, and air filtration system installations.